Intro – 2nd – Harper
Intro to Helping Others
In lesson 1, students will be introduced to the definition of Helping Others, introduced to Harper and have the opportunity to give and receive compliments from one another while learning that being kind is one type of Helping Others.
In lesson 2, students will have the opportunity work together as a team and realize how goals are more easily attained by using teamwork and helping each other.
In lesson 3, students will incorporate their understanding of Helping Others into an entry in their Career Journals, as it relates to their future work.
- Students will develop self confidence in their ability to help others in various settings and life situations by:
- developing and employing effective interpersonal communication skills and demonstrating empathy
- creating positive and supportive relationships with peers and adults
- demonstrating ethical decision making and social responsibility
- using effective collaboration and cooperation skills
Helping Others: Anything you do for someone else that makes him or her feel good
- Introduce the definition of Helping Others.
- Discuss ways students can help others in various settings.
- Ask students to share ways they help others in school, at home, and in the community.
- Talk about the importance of helping others in general. Ask students to share why they think it is important to help others.
- Using the Project TEAM House Guide, draw the PT house, indicating wall #1.
- Introduce Harper and talk about her helping others abilities.
- Briefly discuss Harper’s big heart and how it is a symbol for her abilities to help others.
- Tell the class they are going to help each other now by playing a quick game of “pass on the compliment.” Talk about how compliments can help others feel good about themselves.
- Give one student in the class a compliment. That student must then give a compliment to the person sitting next to him or her and so on until everyone has received a compliment.
Making Foundation Connections
- How is Helping Others, by giving them a compliment, also using Anti-Bullyingstrategies?