Activity – 2nd Grade – Lamar
Ring of Leaders
- Review Leadership from Mini Lesson 1.
- Explain to students that they will have to stand in a large circle holding hands. Have one pair of students unclasp their hands and place one hula-hoop inside the circle. Those students will again hold hands.
- Students are to try to get the hula-hoop around the entire circle without anyone letting go of anyone else’s hand. Explain they have to do this rather fast because this is the first of three rounds of this activity.
- If they can get the hula-hoop around the circle in a timely fashion, then the instructor should add the second hula-hoop. The students now have to get both hula-hoops around the circle without anyone unclasping hands.
- If the students are successful with the first two rounds, the instructor will move on to the third round. In this round, only one hula-hoop is used. Again, the students have to get the hula-hoop around the circle without letting go of each other’s hands. But this time nobody can talk and they have to keep their eyes closed the entire time.
- Remind students that being a leader means following directions, being resilient and helping others.
- How did you have to show Leadership in this activity?
- Why is it important to work together as a team?
- What might happen if you were always a follower?
- Two (2) Hula Hoops