Activity – 2nd Grade – Ruby
Tap It On
- Review Resiliency from Mini-Lesson 1.
- Explain to students that they will have to sit on their knees in a large circle, with their hands on the floor in front of them. They will have to criss-cross their hands with the students on either side of them. They might need help with this. Every student’s hand should be crossed with the person next to him or her on both sides.
- The students should be told that one person has to lift one of his or her hands and tap the floor. Then, the person whose hand is next taps the floor, and so on. What tends to be most difficult is that students will tap one hand and then automatically want to tap their other hand.
- The tap has to get around the whole circle in order without any mistakes. If any student taps out of order, they have to start from the beginning.
- Encourage students to strategize and communicate to help each other out.
- Remind the class the activity is about being resilient and that even if they mess up they have to keep trying, even if they are frustrated.
- Was this activity difficult? Why or why not?
- Did you have to work together as a team? How so?
- Did you have to be resilient? How so?