Activity – 3rd Grade – Lamar
Get an Autograph!
- Review Leadership from Mini-Lesson 1.
- Explain to students that how we talk with others or communicate is a really important part of being a good leader. Practice introductions and handshakes in partners.
- Tell students that as they complete this activity they are going to pretend to be journalists. Ask students if they know what a journalist is. Explain to students that a journalist is someone who writes for newspapers, magazines, or prepares newscasts. They use their writing and communication strengths to keep the public aware and knowledgeable of current events and happenings.
- Explain that they are going to be practicing communication when they shake hands and speak with other students to get information about them and to obtain their autograph. This is important because journalists need to use what they learned in school and practice speaking with other people so that that can get correct and complete information or their stories. Example:Students will want to have eye contact while giving a firm handshake. “Hi, my name is _________________________. I’m a third grader at _______________________Elementary. Nice to meet you. “
- Give students a timeframe of 5-10 minutes to practice their communication with one another by completing the Get an Autograph! Worksheet
- How did you have to show Leadership in this activity?
- What was difficult about the activity?
- How many had something in common with someone they didn’t know very well?
- Why do you think communication is so important as a leader?
- Why do you think communication is do important as a journalist?
- Did you learn about your TEAMmates’ strengths? Examples?
- Get an Autograph! Worksheet
- Pencil or pen for each student