Activity – 4th Grade – Lamar
- Review Leadership from Mini-Lesson 1.
- Have the students line up in height order from tallest to shortest.
- Use the colored tape to make a rectangle on the floor around them, giving them only a little room in the front, back, and the sides of where they stand. The students’ toes and heels should just about touch the masking tape.
- Instruct the students to imagine that they are on an island. Say to the students, “After months of studies and recording data, a local marine biologist noticed that several different types of fish living in the water surrounding the island were dying. Because she understands biology and oceanography she could determine that the island is surrounded by toxic water.”
- They have to work together as a team to change order and line up from shortest to tallest while staying inside the masking tape rectangle.
- The students should be told that if anyone steps outside the tape, they all have to start over in their original positions.
- A time limit can be set as a goal.
- Remind students that effective communication and offering guidance and direction are important aspects of Leadership and to keep this in mind as they work through this activity.
- What foundations did you have to use in this activity?
- In what ways did you use leadership skills?
- What would have happened if nobody listened to anybody else?
- How can you use what you learned to help with real life challenges?
- Colored tape