Activity – 5th Grade – Ruby
Resilient Radio Show
- Review Resiliency and adversity from Mini-Lesson 1.
- Divide the class into 4 TEAMs.
- Assign one foundation to each TEAM and explain how each foundation connects to resiliency.
- Helping Others – we can show and build resilience by helping others when they need support.
- Positive Change – positive change can lead to resilience because we can respond to adversity in new ways,
- Anti-bullying – there are different ways we can show resilience in anti-bullying:
- Bystander – students who see bullying behavior can intervene and tell the bully what he/she is doing is not okay. They can also tell a teacher and can be friends with the student who was being bullied.
- Victim – kids who are bullied can be resilient by standing up to the bully and by telling a trusted adult.
- Bully – students who are bullies can be resilient by trying to make a positive change in their behavior and finding a sense of purpose that is different from picking on other students. What are some other purposeful things that bullies can do?
- Problem solving – problem-solving helps us see a problem or tough situation from different points of view.
- After reviewing and giving the students ideas, have them write a radio show/podcast skit demonstrating resiliency and the foundation they were assigned.
- Once the TEAMs have finished writing their skit, ask them to read it aloud like a radio show.
- What were moments of resiliency in the other groups’ skits?
- What situations in school might require resilience? At home? In the community?
- What are some ways students can show they are being resilient?
- Scrap Paper